A 3.5 day, DEFRA-approved training course run in conjunction with Semex UK
Training Veterinary Practice:
Kernow Farm & Equine
Unit 1-2 Woods Browning Industrial Estate
BVetMed (hons), MRCVS (Kernow Farm & Equine)
£545.00 + VAT including refreshments and packed lunches each day
Tuesday 12th September 2023, 9:30am - 3:30pm
Classroom DIY AI theory and practical safe handing of semen straws and storage tank.
Wednesday 13th September 2023, 9:30am - 3:30pm
On-farm reproductive cattle tract handling and palpation & manipulation of cervix in live cows.
Thursday 14th September 2023, 9.30am to 3.30pm
On-farm insemination of live cows with hyperechoic fluid. Correct, successful placement confirmed by ultrasound examination by veterinary surgeon trainers.
Friday 15th September 2023, 9.30am to 3.30pm
On-farm insemination of live cows with hyperechoic fluid. Correct succesul placement confirmed by ultrasound examination by veterinary surgeon trainers. Course Summary and reflection. Presentation of Certificates of Competency to successful trainees.
*All parts of the course must be fully attended.
Please complete the registration form
- After completing your registration Kernow Farm & Equine will send you an invoice. Payment of the course fee will guarantee a place on the course.
- If the course is run but you subsequently withdraw before Tuesday 12th September 2023, 50% of the course will be returned. If withdrawal occurs after the 12th September 2023 or in the event of non-attendance or failure to qualify/pass the course no refund will be given.
- We reserve the right to cancel the course (e.g. if there are inadequate trainees) and in this instance a full refund will be given.
- Trainees must be over 16 years of age.
- Trainees must have no animal welfare convictions.
Why AI rather than bull?
- Wider pool of bull genetics can be used.
- Eliminate possible disease spread by bull.
- Reduced costs versus bull purchase, health, fertility etc.
- H&S - bulls not required.
- All fertility results can be as good as natural service.
- Use of stored semen for ease of calving or heifer replacements.
Why DIY rather than an AI service?
- Timing of AI can always be optimised - increased flexibility.
- Reduced cow waiting times - welfare.
- Herd biosecurity - reduced visits onto farm.
- Reduced costs.
What will be covered in the course?
- Cow welfare and safety
- Hygiene through the insemination process
- Cow-reproductive anatomy
- The cow's oestrus cycle and AI timing
- Oestrus detection
- How to inseminate - theory and practical
- Care of the semen tank
- Care of semen straws in the tank, during thawing and the insemination process
- Personal safety while handling semen, straws, semen storage tanks and during the insemination process
- Record keeping